Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy: A Classic Comfort Food
If you’re looking for a comforting and satisfying meal that brings back memories of home-cooked goodness, then look no further than Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy. This classic dish combines the flavors of seasoned ground beef, caramelized onions, and a savory gravy that will have you coming back for seconds. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps to create this hearty comfort food that’s perfect for any occasion.
Ingredients for Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy
To prepare Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy, gather the following ingredients:
For the Hamburger Steak:
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20 or 85/15 for best flavor)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying)
For the Onions and Gravy:
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Mashed potatoes or steamed rice
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
Preparing the Hamburger Steak:
- Combine Ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, finely chopped onions, beaten egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix everything thoroughly but avoid overmixing to keep the meat tender.
- Shape the Patties
- Divide the beef mixture into equal portions and shape them into oval or round patties, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Create an indentation in the center of each patty to prevent it from puffing up during cooking.
- Cook the Hamburger Steaks
- In a skillet or frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the hamburger steaks to the pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side or until they reach your desired level of doneness. Remove the patties from the pan and set them aside.
Making the Onions and Gravy:
- Caramelize the Onions
- In the same pan used for cooking the hamburger steaks, add the unsalted butter and thinly sliced onions. Cook the onions over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they turn golden brown and caramelized. This process may take around 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare the Gravy
- Sprinkle the flour over the caramelized onions and stir to combine. Cook the flour and onions for a minute or two to remove the raw taste of the flour.
- Add the Broth and Worcestershire Sauce
- Gradually pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer, allowing the gravy to thicken and reach a smooth consistency. If the gravy is too thick, you can add a little more broth to adjust.
- Season to Taste
- Taste the gravy and add salt and black pepper as needed to suit your taste preferences.
Serving the Hamburger Steak:
- Plate the Steak and Gravy
- Arrange the cooked hamburger steaks on a serving platter and pour the savory onion gravy over them.
- Pair with Mashed Potatoes or Rice
- Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy pairs wonderfully with creamy mashed potatoes or steamed rice, allowing you to soak up every bit of deliciousness.
- Garnish and Enjoy
- For an extra touch of freshness, garnish the dish with chopped fresh parsley before serving. Now, dive into this comforting and satisfying meal!
Tips for the Perfect Hamburger Steak
- For a juicier and more flavorful result, use ground beef with a slightly higher fat content, such as 80/20 or 85/15.
- Do not press down on the hamburger steaks while cooking to retain their juices and avoid drying them out.
- If you prefer a thicker gravy, you can add a cornstarch slurry (a mixture of cornstarch and water) to the gravy and simmer until it reaches the desired thickness.
The History of Hamburger Steak
Hamburger Steak is an American classic with a history that dates back to the late 1800s. It is believed to have originated in the South and was often referred to as “Salisbury steak.” As the dish gained popularity, it spread to various regions of the country, each adding its own unique twists and flavors. Today, Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy is a beloved comfort food that brings families together around the dinner table.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef? Yes, you can substitute ground beef with ground turkey or chicken for a lighter version of this dish.
- What can I serve with Hamburger Steak other than mashed potatoes or rice? Hamburger Steak also pairs well with roasted vegetables, buttered corn, or a simple green salad.
- Can I make the hamburger steaks ahead of time? You can prepare the hamburger steaks ahead of time and refrigerate them. Cook the patties just before serving to ensure they stay juicy and flavorful.
- Can I freeze the leftover hamburger steak and gravy? Yes, you can freeze the cooked hamburger steaks and gravy in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw them in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Is there a vegetarian version of this dish? While this recipe features meat, you can create a vegetarian version using plant-based ground “meat” and vegetable broth for the gravy.
Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy is a timeless comfort food that satisfies both the young and the young-at-heart. With its juicy and flavorful patties smothered in savory onion gravy, this dish brings warmth and joy to every bite. So, gather your ingredients, follow our step-by-step instructions, and enjoy the delightful taste of home-cooked goodness in every forkful.